EMPOWERED & INFORMED

Welcome to the Women's Resource Center Blog: Empowered & Informed. This space to trade ideas and generate conversation about empowering women.

Speak up and Share Your Voice!

8.15.2009

Rachel Maddow to Appear on this Sunday's Meet the Press!

For those of you who may not be familiar with Rachel Maddow, one of the newer additions to MSNBC, she is, quite frankly in my opinion, the Bomb!  Her show is on at 9:00PM eastern time.  I try to catch it as often as I can.

Cable news for me is a sea of infotainment run amok, with so much pandering to individual segments of society that it's hard to know if one is really getting the news, or just some editorializing slant of it.

Enter Rachel, and for now at least, she seems to be trying to get at facts more than anyone else. While she leans progressive, I have seen her have some pretty right wing pundits and elected officials on and, not only does she treat them with respect, she asks some pretty pointed questions and gives her interviewees time to give in-depth answers.  Some, as in the case of Pat Buchanan, use that time to announce not only that they are racist but just how racist they are, but all get respect.  She also covers stories I see no one else covering.

I wonder if she will address Mr. Armey about his organization, Freedomworks and its alleged inciting of the raucus behavior at town hall meetings that Rachel has been covering.  I wonder if she will confront him and if he will just deny it, as he has up to this point.  Don't get me wrong, I am all for debate, however loud and passionate, and civil disagreement is very healthy.  But all I have seen so far in the video of these town hall meetings is tantrum throwing with no substantive questions or comments.  Screaming "liar!" at our representatives is not, in my opinion, healthy debate and certainly won't help anyone understand the complexity of the healthcare reform bills.  People are worried about how we will pay for health care reform, how it will affect all of us, will it work, what if it doesn't - these are among many reasonable and important questions to be answered.

Meet the Press airs on NBC at 9:00 AM eastern time every Sunday.  It will be very interesting to see how it all plays out.  If you watch it, let us know what you think.

Posted by Kate Tinnan, WRC volunteer

No comments:

Post a Comment