EMPOWERED & INFORMED

Welcome to the Women's Resource Center Blog: Empowered & Informed. This space to trade ideas and generate conversation about empowering women.

Speak up and Share Your Voice!

1.26.2009

A Word About The Woman Who Influenced Me The Most

The most influential African American woman in my life is my mom, Frances Willette Goode Dula. My mom, known by those in our community as Willette Dula was born and grew up during the Great Depression. She and her family had precious little possessions. As so many did during that era, they struggled just to have food on the table and a roof over their heads. However, through all of these difficult times, she learned the value of hard work, perseverance, and faith in God, values she passed along to my siblings and me. She also taught me the great value of education. My mom was the first person in her family to graduate from high school. Many days she had to walk to school in all types of weather. But, no matter how harsh the conditions, she went anyway. She wanted to go to college but was unable because her family couldn’t afford to send her to college. In spite of lacking a formal college degree, she became a well respected nursery school and daycare teacher. She is a natural teacher who instinctively knew how to inspire, encourage, and motivate the scores of children she taught over the years, including me. For you see, she was my first teacher who taught me the power and the importance of the 3Rs and so much more. Where I am today is because of who she is.

Arnita M. Dula - City of Hickory Staff Attorney
WRC Board Member

No comments:

Post a Comment